View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:28 am

mileshanley
Post  Post subject: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 pm

I have been trying to install this program on my Sony Vaio Laptop for a longtime now. The roadblock I've run into is that the Borland file is not in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Registry. I have installed and de-installed the program with no change. I am not a computer expert but can work my away with direction. Please tell me what I need to do so I can use the program.
Miles

AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 am
Site Admin

mileshanley wrote:
I have been trying to install this program on my Sony Vaio Laptop for a longtime now. The roadblock I've run into is that the Borland file is not in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Registry. I have installed and de-installed the program with no change. I am not a computer expert but can work my away with direction. Please tell me what I need to do so I can use the program.
Miles

Hi Miles -

So there is no tree "Computer ~ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ~ Software ~ Borland" directory in your Registry?

Even with a FULL install of version 1.16, there is still NO Key?

Is there a "Computer ~ HKEY_CURRENT_USER ~ Software ~ Borland" directory in your Registry?

Can you open your "avobase.ini" file found in your C:\AvoBase directory, copy the contents and paste them here?

Also, can run Start ~ Settings ~ Control Panel ~ and run the BDE Administrator -

Click on the Databases Tab, click on the "AvoBaseDB" database listed there, and tell me what the PATH is?

Also in that SAME program, click on the "Configuration" tab, expand the tree, click on Drivers, Native, Paradox - and tell me what the NET DIR is at the top?

Attachments:
breg.jpg
breg.jpg [ 32.29 KiB | Viewed 10102 times ]
mileshanley
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:18 pm

The tree is there but "Borland" is not. There is no avobase.ini. A copy of the tree is attached to this as a paint file.

Attachments:
AVOBASE Tree.jpg
AVOBASE Tree.jpg [ 78.78 KiB | Viewed 10096 times ]
AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 pm
Site Admin

Ok, there is an avobase.ini file, but vista is hiding the ".ini" from you. The file "avobase" that says it is a "configuration file" is actually the INI.

For some reason, the installer did not work correctly, OR, it did but is trying to preserve the existing configuration.

We can look at that in a moment, but open that avobase configuration file, and copy the contents into a message here.

Next, open the Control Panel - run the "BDE Administrator", click on the "Databases" tab, then click on "AvoBaseDB", and tell me what the "PATH" is equal to. The PATH should be C:\AvoBase.

Also in that SAME program, click on the "Configuration" tab, expand the tree, click on Drivers, Native, Paradox - and tell me what the NET DIR is at the top? The NET DIR should be C:\AvoBase.

Let me know what those two values are.

Thanks Miles!

mileshanley
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 am

This is the ini file:
[AvoBase]
DataBase=AvoBaseDB
Help=C:\AVOBASE\Help
RunPath=C:\AVOBASE
[AvoBaseDB]
DBPath=C:\AVOBASE\DataBase

Ok, I am going to need a little more direction since I am not a computer geek. I know where to find the Control Panel, but you are going to have to walk me through the step of running the "BDE Administrator". Where do I find that once I open the control panel? I assume once I have that I can go to the next step which is the databases tab.
And when you say go the "SAME" program, are you talking about the BDE Administrator or the AVOBASE program?

AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 am
Site Admin

Make sure you are logged into your Vista machine with an administrator account

mileshanley wrote:
This is the ini file:
[AvoBase]
DataBase=AvoBaseDB
Help=C:\AVOBASE\Help
RunPath=C:\AVOBASE
[AvoBaseDB]
DBPath=C:\AVOBASE\DataBase

Ok, I am going to need a little more direction since I am not a computer geek. I know where to find the Control Panel, but you are going to have to walk me through the step of running the "BDE Administrator". Where do I find that once I open the control panel? I assume once I have that I can go to the next step which is the databases tab.
And when you say go the "SAME" program, are you talking about the BDE Administrator or the AVOBASE program?

Ok, your INI file is correct.

Click on your Start button, click settings, click Control Panel. In the Control Panel will be the BDE Administrator. Run that program.

Click on the "Databases" tab, then click on "AvoBaseDB", and tell me what the "PATH" is equal to. The PATH should be C:\AvoBase.

In the same program (BDE Adminstrator), there is another tab on the top - click on the "Configuration" tab, expand the tree, click on Drivers, Native, Paradox - and tell me what the NET DIR is at the top? The NET DIR should be C:\AvoBase.

mileshanley
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:12 pm

I don't have a "BDE Administrator" or it is under another name. That may be the problem. I will copy my control panel in this posting.

Attachments:
Control  Panel.jpg
Control Panel.jpg [ 113.24 KiB | Viewed 10076 times ]
AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:17 pm
Site Admin

Ok Miles, if you don't even have a BDE administrator, then you must have run the un-installer, which deleted everything.

Can you run the avobase_116.exe installer, and then look to see if the BDE Administrator is there?

The only way it would disappear is if the uninstaller was run.

mileshanley
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 pm

I do not see the executeable file in the program. If you look at my program tree, you will not see avobase_116.exe. Should I reinstall the program?

AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Borland Not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  |  Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Site Admin

mileshanley wrote:
I do not see the executeable file in the program. If you look at my program tree, you will not see avobase_116.exe. Should I reinstall the program?

Yes. Re-run the avobase_116.exe installer.

Then, Click on your Start button, click settings, click Control Panel. See if the BDE Administrator is there.