View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 am

ddwy24
Post  Post subject: Product Enhancement Suggestions  |  Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:06 am

I've been using the AvoBase application for several months now and have a couple "wish" items that I'm hoping may be possible in future releases.

First is the Product section. Is there a way to remove the Campaign aspect of it so you can list the product without the campaign it came from? I'd like to keep the products either purchased or enter them from campaign books without having to enter specific information that is tied to a campaign such as Sale Price. If you can include the "Regular Price" so the price associated with the products in the product master could be the "Regular Price" that is listed in the for the products keeping the "Sell At" price in the order section for the specific campaigns to reflect what the customer is going to pay for the item. Sometimes they are the same but most often the "Sell At" is discounted.

I'm unsure what the "Retail Cost" is supposed to reflect. What is the purpose of this field and which reports/screens read from that field.

I'd also like to be able to enter the Rep Cost of the product for given campaigns to show what we actually make on products. This information varies by order, so it should be tied to the sales cycle once the orders are posted.

When you enter a new order, the default box that appears to select sales cycle defaults to the last one that was entered, not the sales cycle based upon the start/end dates. Is there a way to change it so the order is set based upon the date entered and the appropriate sales cycle is selected?

AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Product Enhancement Suggestions  |  Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 am
Site Admin

First, thank you, glad to hear you're using AvoBase. I hope that it is working out for you. I'm always here and since I do all of the development I can take anything into consideration for a new release.

ddwy24 wrote:
Is there a way to remove the Campaign aspect of it so you can list the product without the campaign it came from? I'd like to keep the products either purchased or enter them from campaign books without having to enter specific information that is tied to a campaign such as Sale Price. If you can include the "Regular Price" so the price associated with the products in the product master could be the "Regular Price" that is listed in the for the products keeping the "Sell At" price in the order section for the specific campaigns to reflect what the customer is going to pay for the item. Sometimes they are the same but most often the "Sell At" is discounted.

The reason that products are tied to campaigns is that companies tend to re-use their product numbers over. Avon does this all the time. During one campaign, it may be at $1.00 and may be "red", while three campaigns later it is now $2.00 and still red (sometimes may be blue). Some Avon Reps like to sell the new product to a customer - but use the prior campaign's product #. This way they can purchase it cheaper from Avon - but sell it at a greater price and make a profit. In watching my wife sell Avon for 20+ years, I have even seen Avon re-use a product # that was a lipstick - and then later nail polish!

So this is difficult as AovBase products were designed to be tied to both a sales organization and a sales cycles. Again, I did this because Avon re-uses their product numbers and you need to know which sales cycle the product came from. I designed AvoBase to be able to tell you if a product with the same number exists within the prior X sales cycles back from your cycle. Some customers want to see ALL products which is why that toggle exists.

But back tracking, from what I see, you're asking for a "Regular Price" which to AvoBase is the "Sell At" price. Let me look into this because from just off the top of my head, I could add an additional column to the Product as "Sell At". When that product is entered onto an invoice, both the retail and the sell at would be automatically filled out.

Do realize that you do NOT have to enter your products into the product database before using them on an invoice. They will automatically be entered into your product database when you close out your order/invoice. Since AvoBase allows you to sell any kind of product (say you were selling comic books), the product database is there to add what items you might have on hand - to sell later. Companies like Avon won't share their product databases and claim copyright infringement to anyone distributing the lists. That's why I don't have an import for them directly from Avon - and that's why I made it so you can sell products on an order without ever having to enter the product first.

ddwy24 wrote:
I'm unsure what the "Retail Cost" is supposed to reflect. What is the purpose of this field and which reports/screens read from that field.

The "Retail Cost" is what the product cost you - not what you are selling it to the customer. Since AvoBase doesn't have purchase orders at this time - if you obtain a product from Avon/Etc, you should put what the product cost you. Later, when you sell the product you will have a "Sell At". The difference between the Retail and Sell At is your actual profit. The taxes are not included and are calculated separately.

ddwy24 wrote:
I'd also like to be able to enter the Rep Cost of the product for given campaigns to show what we actually make on products. This information varies by order, so it should be tied to the sales cycle once the orders are posted.

Under the Expenses tab, you can keep track of the cost of your campaign by adding a new expense, selecting the expense type of "Avon Product Cost" and entering the amount. You can select whether it is tax deductible as well.

ddwy24 wrote:
When you enter a new order, the default box that appears to select sales cycle defaults to the last one that was entered, not the sales cycle based upon the start/end dates. Is there a way to change it so the order is set based upon the date entered and the appropriate sales cycle is selected?

I understand. Some reps like to add all of their sales cycles for Avon for an entire year - and yes, it will default to the last item in the list for the selected sales organization. This is not a difficult thing to add to AvoBase and I will schedule it for release 2.115. It will be a toggle under AvoBase Settings - under General Settings.

Give me week to look over what I currently have in store for 2.115 and see about getting your two items added.