View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 am

krmk
Post  Post subject: Questions  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:25 pm

I have just activated my AvoBase and I have a request. I sell Mary Kay and when I place an order I am taxed for all products at the retail cost amount. I do give discounts to customers which I see your program has the ability to do that. However, I can only get the sales tax amount to compute at the discounted sell at cost. I need the sales tax to be calculated on the retail cost, as that is what I had to pay on the item. Is there a way to change this setting, or is there a way to adjust the sales tax amount before creating a customer invoice? I also noticed that when I entered product at the sales order point it is not putting that product information into my product data base. Am I doing something wrong?

Other than these two issues I think this program will be great for me! Thanks for any help you can give me.

krmk

AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Questions  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 pm
Site Admin

krmk wrote:
I have just activated my AvoBase and I have a request. I sell Mary Kay and when I place an order I am taxed for all products at the retail cost amount. I do give discounts to customers which I see your program has the ability to do that. However, I can only get the sales tax amount to compute at the discounted sell at cost. I need the sales tax to be calculated on the retail cost, as that is what I had to pay on the item. Is there a way to change this setting, or is there a way to adjust the sales tax amount before creating a customer invoice? I also noticed that when I entered product at the sales order point it is not putting that product information into my product data base. Am I doing something wrong?

Other than these two issues I think this program will be great for me! Thanks for any help you can give me.

krmk

You are absolutely correct because AvoBase looks at the three values - Your Cost, Retail Cost and Sales Cost. Tax is always charged against what the product was sold for - not for what the original retail cost was. If you charge against the Retail and it's $10, but you're selling it at $1 - you're charging the customer the wrong tax rate. What you paid for the product is completely different from what you're selling it at.

So let's look at this - you're purchasing the product at price X from Mary Kay. You paid the cost + tax, but at a discounted price. If you sell the product for more, you collected more tax, you covered your cost - and the taxes are then due to the government.

Are you selling your products for less than you paid the OEM?

AvoAdmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Questions  |  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 am
Site Admin

Oh and I forgot to mention - welcome to AvoBase. I don't get many Mary Kay users these days - mostly Avon reps. So hopefully I'll learn a bit more about Mary Kay from you!